Friends of the Everglades, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit founded in 1969 by environmental champion Marjory Stoneman Douglas, seeks a Policy Director to lead efforts on federal, state and local issues, with the goal of holding polluters accountable and improving regulations in the interest of the public good in Florida. The ideal candidate is an innovative thinker and team player who will work closely with the Executive Director and other staff to execute policy priorities.
Primary job functions:
● Developing and implementing strategies to advance Friends of the Everglades’ policy priorities.
● Tracking legislative action in Tallahassee and Washington D.C. that impacts water policy and Everglades restoration, and clearly communicating updates internally and externally.
● Researching, analyzing and interpreting state and federal laws, legislative action and agency rules, and making recommendations about reforms.
● Writing position statements and action alerts on timely Everglades topics and related water-policy issues.
● Serving as a liaison with the South Florida Water Management District, Army Corps of Engineers and members of the Florida Legislature.
● Monitoring and speaking at public meetings on behalf of Friends of the Everglades.
● Delivering nonpartisan briefings to sitting elected officials and candidates for public office.
● Forging alliances with other organizations with common policy goals, and cultivating those relationships to advance shared priorities.
● A minimum of 5 years of policy advocacy experience (relevant fields such as investigative journalism and law will be strongly considered).
● Interest in Florida’s legislative process, tracking bills and drafting legislation.
● Strong public speaking, writing and research skills and an innate sense of curiosity.
● Comfort with digital engagement tools, especially virtual meetings and social media.
● Ability to adapt and pitch in as part of a small staff and manage staff or interns on projects as necessary.
● Willingness to explain policy positions to donors and help with fundraising opportunities.
● Creative thinking and appreciation of the legacy of Marjory Stoneman Douglas.
● Passion for restoring America’s Everglades and Florida Bay and stopping the damaging releases of water from Lake Okeechobee to the St. Lucie and Caloosahatchee estuaries.
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.