Take steps to reduce global warming.
- Want to do something to help stop global warming? Here are 10 simple things you can do and how much carbon dioxide you’ll save doing them.
Change a light
Replacing one regular light bulb with a compact fluorescent light bulb will save 150 pounds of carbon dioxide a year.
Walk, bike, carpool or take mass transit more often. You’ll save one pound of carbon dioxide for every mile you don’t drive!
You can save 2,400 pounds of carbon dioxide per year by recycling just half of your household waste.
Check your tires
Keeping your tires inflated properly can improve gas mileage by more than 3%. Every gallon of gasoline saved keeps 20 pounds of carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere!
Use less hot water
It takes a lot of energy to heat water. Use less hot water by installing a low flow showerhead (350 pounds of CO2 saved per year) and washing your clothes in cold or warm water (500 pounds saved per year).
Avoid products with a lot of packaging
You can save 1,200 pounds of carbon dioxide if you cut down your garbage by 10%.
Adjust your thermostat
Moving your thermostat just 2 degrees in winter and up 2 degrees in summer you could save about 2,000 pounds of carbon dioxide a year with this simple adjustment.
Plant a tree
A single tree will absorb one ton of carbon dioxide over its lifetime.
Turn off electronic devices
Simply turning off your television, DVD player, stereo, and computer when you’re not using them will save you thousands of pounds of carbon dioxide a year.
Join Young Friends and other environmental groups.
- Captain Planet Foundation
- Kids Ecology Corps
- National Wildlife Federation
- National Resources Defense Council
Visit and learn about the Everglades.
- Everglades National Park Information for Kids
- Everglades National Park
- Florida Panther Net – Official Education Site
- Florida Panther – National Wildlife Federation
- Help Save the Endangered Florida Panther
Learn about global warming.
- Global Warming Central – Help Save our Planet
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Climate Change Education Project
- 42 Explore
- Stop Global Warming
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration